Monday, February 13, 2012

I wake up sprawled across the bed, rub my eyes and sit up, tangled in the sheet. A morning breeze whispers past the curtain and into my room. I wrap the blanket around me and stagger out to the kitchen, grabbing my pack of smokes and a lighter on the way.
I make coffee; black. No sugar, no milk.
The sun is pulling itself lazily up over the horizon, lighting up the sky with soft hues of red and purple. Somewhere in the distance, beneath the sound of the highway nearby, birds are calling. I open the door to the back deck, lighter between my teeth as I step out and shut the door with my foot.
I sit down in my hammock, pulling my blanket tighter, my feet curled under me for warmth. The breeze picks up slightly; my hair falls around my face as I sip at my coffee.
Lazily I light up a smoke and watch the sun rise as I finish my coffee.
Today will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment